We believe you have great ideas, and we specifically set aside money for clubs, households, and student projects and initiatives. As a Council, we strive to be fair, and help you achieve your goals, whether you need funding or not.
We don't like to make things complicated, but we also need a process that's fair to everyone requesting funding. If you're a university-approved club or household, you can easily submit a bill to the council.
How to Request Funding
- Download and Complete the Bill Template
- Submit your bill, and present it at the next Council Meeting
Council Meetings for Spring 2018 are Thursday nights, at 7:30pm, in room 155 of the Canizaro Library. Presenters are welcome to stay for the entire meeting, but are only required to be present for their own bill presentation.
Bills must be submitted by Tuesday at 7:30pm to be presented at the Thursday Council Meeting.
- Student Government won't pay for hotel rooms.
- For households, we'll pay up to $15 per shirt for each new intent.
- If transportation is needed, we recommend reserving vans through Student Affairs. Student Affairs usually covers the gas.
- SGA does not retroactively approve funding.
Presenting Your Bill
The Secretary will notify you of the next Council Meeting to present your bill.
Before voting on bills, the Council goes through a series of reports to summarize what's happened since the last meeting. After the Council moves into Secretary's Business, bills will be presented.
The President will introduce the bill, and invite you to present it from the podium. Don't fret - it's easy. Tell us what the bill is for and give us some context. Try to foresee any questions and respond to them in your presentation. You only need to talk for a minute or two.
After you present, the President will move to approve the funding, followed by questions from the Council. Below are some sample questions. It might be helpful to look through and know the answers to the questions that apply.
- If you represent a club or household, how many active members do you currently have?
- What are your goals for the year, and how does this help achieve them?
- If purchasing a long-term asset, where will it be stored, and how will you ensure it is maintained?
- Have you requested any funding from SGA in the past?
- If you're not sure, the Treasurer can help look this up.
- If hosting an event, how are you marketing your event to ensure its success?
- We highly recommend working with the Office of Student Engagement if you need posters or branding.
After the Council votes on your bill, you are welcome to observe the rest of the meeting and participate in General Discussion. You are not required to stay after your bill has been voted on.
Have a question about submitting a bill?
Ask Secretary Andrew Eads
Andrew Eads is a junior from Ave Maria, Florida. He serves as the Secretary of Student Government. Within this role, he works to maintain current records of the Council's activity, and continues to update the Council's systems for all administrative work. Andrew works for Ave Maria Utility Company and is also the Logistics Manager of the University's Audio Visual Department, which facilitates all campus events. He is double majoring in Economics and Business.